Saturday, April 12, 2008

Smart youth in the center of Annapolis

There is a pretty exciting Annapolis project waiting for me and I am anxious to start.

Friday I went by the Bates Center Annapolis Boys and Girls Club looking for a video project. Reginald Broddie, the Chief Professional Officer of the five Boys and Girls Clubs in Anne Arundel County, invited me into his office and we talked. It seems that he and Larry Huggins, a fine young communications professional with the clubs, had just been talking about video that same day. We decided to do a project together and put it on HometownAnnapolis.com.

Reginald talked about another project - one that we could cover - and it is exciting. Perhaps you have heard of it. It is a radio show called "Money Matters," which is produced by young people in the clubs and aired on WNAV at 8:30 on Sunday mornings. It teaches "critical thinking," Reginald says.

He made a believer out of me. I can't wait to watch them produce the show and film the process.

Long ago I became familiar with a favorite saying of Alex Haley. He used to quote it often in Tennessee, as he went around giving speeches and teaching at UT:

"Find the good and praise it."

Haley was a consummate journalist and to him this principle seemed the pinnacle of the craft of writing. In following that maxim he brought a lot of energy to people trying to do right.

Reginald and Larry have the same energy. It is exciting to join with them in this small project.

It will give me a good look at some of Annapolis' finest young people and I know it will take me a long way on my search to understand my new home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home