Friday, November 9, 2007

Looking ahead to 'What is Annapolis?'

In the last post I mentioned we would wait a little while to get into the subject of "What is Annapolis?" And we will - it will be a lot to discuss.

But to prime the pump of your thinking, I'll link here to something I read recently on The Washingtonian website:

Long known as a world sailing capital, Annapolis is no longer a sleepy town full of boats and midshipmen. Now home to hundreds of new condos, high-class shopping, and three restaurants on the 2007 100 Very Best Restaurants list, this suburb is rapidly becoming a hot spot for Washingtonians to live and play....

The reference is found here: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/visitorsguide/2961.html

Annapolis is a suburb????

I have not been here that long, but I would not call it a suburb. Maybe if you worked in DC with people who drive home to Annapolis to sleep at night, you might think it is like a suburb - if you had never been here. But having been here, that should never enter your mind again. At least that is my opinion - and I am the new kid on the block.

But do other people in neighboring (larger) cities view Annapolis as a suburb?

Interesting fodder for discussion - and a starting point for "What is Annapolis?"

I just wanted to tease that a bit. We will get to it. Feel free to write in your views. I will post them when we get back to the subject.

'Til later.

(Note: I was told by one person that the quoted travel interest article was not written by a regular Washingtonian staffer).

Also - in all fairness - the rest of the mentioned article speaks much about the distinctive traits of Annapolis. I just wonder why the word "suburb" might have come into the writer's mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home