Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Annapolis of Today

My search for Annapolis took a huge leap forward last Saturday when I was part of the judging team which decides on the youth portion of the "Carrier of the Year" award for The Capital newspaper.

I'll tell you - I found something talking to these kids. They are bright. They are energetic. They are entrepreneurs. They care about the people in their communities.

I heard stories of kids who stopped their "work" of delivering papers long enough to help people carry their groceries in; who would read the news headlines to customers who could not see well; and of kids who managed school, sports, activities, priorities and ambitions in a quest to provide extra value in their customers' lives at the tender age of 11 or 12.

I sometimes interview people several times their age for positions we need to fill here at HometownAnnapolis.com and I'll tell you, it is hard to find adults with the kind of values I saw on display there.

I also heard stories of gutsy young people who faithfully deliver their cargo of "news of what is happening around them" (one youngster's target-center quote) even when they sometimes hear gunshots on neighboring streets or have to have their parents drive them after dark to keep them away from the drug dealers' turf.

These are community leaders, people.

Need I say I was thoroughly impressed? I am so glad we are still an afternoon newspaper, because it affords a chance to have more of these young heroes out on the streets and it gives us an opportunity to see their faces and shake their hands.

They are not just the Annapolis of tomorrow; they are the Annapolis of today.

My hat goes off to them and I intend to follow their lead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home